Tuesday 15 June 2010

Mystery Science Theater 3000

You can be serious about something without taking it seriously. I don't have the linguistic knowledge to translate something from medieval/renaissance Italian to proper English- the kind anyone with half a brain can understand. My understanding goes back 400 years or so and no further than the M25.

How about this for a newsflash: HemaGoth wants to be paid wear leather trousers, sit in a puddle of alleged real beer. and proclaim that in the name of the Queen that this beer is good. My casual wear has meant that I've had to take Americans to one side and explain that I'm not an exhibit and, yes, this is me. (by the way, I believe a co-owner of the Rake in Southwark is one of us. The beer is worth every penny and it is not cheap). Part of this blog was intended to take the piss out of a hobby I love.

Anyway, I digress... Swetnam is an intriguing source of frustration to me. My sloppy notes combine Fiore, Silver and CapoFerro. Due to my sinestre nature, I can't see things in terms of left and right- it's sword and not sword- despite the fact that I tend to fight right handed.

Anyone who has tried to understand an original text has wanted sneak into a bedroom and press a pillow to the author's face. These things aren't easy to understand, you've got to translate them, dictionaries weren't invented and they're not really a "teach yourself" book.

I'd love to see some sarky interpretations/annotations appear online-I've got quite a few things to say about Swetnam and Silver. Some of Silver's bits read like an awful action/horror movie that should be panned for constant xenophobia. Swetnam... Well, there's a reason I'm confident in saying that I'm in the top 10 practitioners in the country (There's about 5 of us... if that)- He's in desperate need of a good editor.

No comments:

Post a Comment