Wednesday 16 November 2011

Subsidary training.

I have a problem. I find running tedious and I don't actually have much of an exercise regime. I walk a lot and that's about it.

This is not good, especially if I'm going to be presenting myself as an example and leading a club. So I will need something to improve certain core skills and maybe provide me with things I can do in warm up/give advice as subsidiary health/flexibility work.

The most obvious one is yoga/pilates. Stuff like that helps with core strength, balance, flexibility and so on. But it's not particularly dynamic. Besides, I'd look bloody silly in a leotard.

But the one that I'm entertaining a bit more seriously is Parkour. You see, it works on things like balance and the flow of movement, improves agility, distance estimation and awareness of surroundings. I assume it also covers things like breakfalls and quick recovery (something terribly useful if I want to dedicate some time to the ninjitsu and wrestling aspects of Bartitsu).

I'll probably lay off the flips and the more preposterous acrobatics. I don't really want to become a parody swashbuckler.

However, the more I think about it, the more Parkour becomes an interesting bedfellow for HEMA.

1 comment:

  1. There's a reason why wrestlers/MMA fighters use gymnastics quite a lot in training work. Strong core muscles and explosiveness are useful to both.

    ReplyDelete