Monday 30 July 2012

Class notes.

Something like a wiki or database for drills would be quite useful- it's a matter of categorising things and putting neat little descriptors on what and why. With the intention that a drag and drop lesson can be worked out very quickly, so that I'm prepared when the inevitable best-laid plans go awry. If we can expand this will also allow the intermediate-advanced tiers get on with things and I can concentrate on the beginners.


 I really should take some time to create these... well the template for them, the questions that need to be answered for each drill.  Nothing big, mostly and extension of my notes. What we did, why we did it and which of the 7 principles each drill focuses on (which is the stage after getting the framing of the guards into people's heads).  After all, the long-term plan is to have this student lead with regular "refereed" freeplay sessions to highlight weaknesses and then counteract them. Which means that a good selection of drills will, basically, take me out of the equation- this is a kind of organic thingy, the times I feel that my classes are going well is when I'm teaching all sorts of bits and each pair is asking a different set of good questions. The big "look at me.." stuff just isn't my style and I know I rush through that so I can work on a small level, addressing individual issues and- importantly for me- getting new viewpoints for my interpretation and seeing how it works for people who aren't me.


This gets easier as the group becomes more established, I'm getting the eye on when to step in- although I feel like I should pop over to those who are doing well, just to shrug my shoulders at them or something.  Just making sure they don't feel left out- I hope I'm doing that properly with introducing another step to the move or a related concept or something like that...  (The class is still small, so it's not an issue at the moment. But I can see the possibility that it might become one in the future). I try to maintain flexibility because the point of me running these classes is to get the stuff in my head into other people's. If a question comes up that's easily answerable, why not cover it then so it settles into their minds?



No comments:

Post a Comment