Saturday 17 May 2014

Another perspective on the Judging debate.

Yes, I know it's been a long time.  Shit happens, and it's been a lot less shit recently so I am able to concentrate on the fun things.

Thanks to the upturn in my circumstances, I am now in possession of a Canon Powershot SX270 HS.  The HS stands for "high speed" capable of 240 FPS at QCIF  size.  Or 120 FPS at SD/VGA resolutions.  There are limitations, it can only take 30 seconds at any one time, the shutter lag is... inconvenient. And the film speed is so fast that I capture the fluctuations in fluorescent lighting ... I've handed this camera to people and said "it only records 30 seconds at a time. Reset at each exchange"  It's not a complicated instruction to follow, but they still get it wrong. 

TL;DR  I've been watching a lot of videos of slow motion sparring. Those 30 seconds take 2 minutes to play back.

What can I tell you from all those videos I've gone through? 
  1. My hanwei is really floppy, but the Danellis have their moments as well.
  2. Any good fight has an awful lot of waiting and faffing about before a hit is attempted. Then it's just a flurry of....stuff.
  3. The only time anyone can expect to know the difference between a flat and edge hit is if you're  using sharps.
  4. The really cool exchanges will be missed because people are human.
  5. If you think you can do this reliably without technological help, you're an idiot.
Swing analysis is considered high end for golf tuition.  But that's nothing more than slow mo video and identifying the breaks in body mechanics.  90% of the time you don't need to say a word. Bringing that kind of camera into what we do demonstrates so much more. You can even show the difference in form under several pressure levels.



Under £200 for this functionality? It's a no-brainer.

No comments:

Post a Comment