Thursday 25 August 2016

Class plans...

I am sure the reasons why the change happened are becoming well known, again not the circumstances I wanted to become lead instructor, but I feel I've been heading this way for a long time.

So cue mad panic and study for a weapon I enjoy but have no great love for. Don't get me wrong, I like longsword but it doesn't 'sing' to me like single and offhand or quarterstaff does. Maybe because I have made those my study, happily picking up everything I can, and generally hanging new ideas on that framework..

Which I guess brings me to the greatest change in class structure. I will be stepping  away from play based instruction. It's never sat right with me, the principles need to be drilled in and the plays evolve/illustrate the concepts. I don't want the guys going 'this is the fifth master, 3rd refinement' I want them to feel as if they are doing the right thing, and then have it on video to alongside the play that just happened.

It will be a complete mash up. Sword vs dagger should teach distances, sure parries and rapid closing. I shall have  to play but sword in one hand and sword in 2 should be interchangeable with the Rawlings nylons and the hiltier feders. Which will open up more options. Then be tied back to the dagger work.

As much fun as I have had with how things were... I am already seeing so many, many more  opportunities and a way to turn the rag tag misfits into an unpredictable whirlwind of blades. With strong, sure and steady mechanics behind them.

No comments:

Post a Comment