Thursday 14 April 2016

Aims for the future

This was in my drafts.  I thought it was published....

Where to start.

My personal fencing is less important to me than seeing the guys do well. Sure, I am getting a shiny new custom made sword but it is to be used as an instructional tool. The sparring, although important is secondary. Fitness could improve, and more training in general is preferable. Again, though, raising the guys up is the aim.

Personal study wise. I think going through my era and looking at late longsword would be good. Quarterstaff is always an aim, but safety and space are still problematic.  I have a lot of fun with sword and buckler against... almost everything, so maybe working on my own style. Possibly my own system, if that doesn't sound too arrogant..... maybe it is better to call it a bastardised mish-mash of stuff that works for me.

For the guys?  I have mentioned that the newbie pattern is difficult. I think splitting the newbies off at the first drill is a way to go. Introduce more flow, split things more into principles instead of plays. Once the newbies have a basic vocabulary and can spar, bump them over to the principles.

If we find a suitable larger venue, I become more floating. Judge, sparring coach, bookworm, drilling partner and maybe even actually have a few lessons from our permanent guest instructor (so I can help his students when he goes off gallivanting across the globe.. instead of purely relying on dirty English habits).

No comments:

Post a Comment