Wednesday 2 May 2012

Well, it's getting real.

I know this is the inevitable outcome of working on my own interpretation and a necessary part of proving my work, but.. well, I'll be honest, this isn't the bit I've been looking forward to. It's an annoying paradox that seems to be part of who I am. I follow the path least travelled and then I have to report my findings so I can bring people to see the cool things I've found. I am a natural teacher, I know this simply because that has been the role that I've fallen into throughout my life. I was teaching sailing before I'd sat my GCSEs, my last job involved an awful lot of tuition on new systems and creating knowledge base articles and suchlike... But well. I don't mind being an authority on a small scale, where I can be challenged and caught when I go off on a tangent before the basics are understood and where I can constantly adjust and change my style in reaction to an individual. Standing up in front of a crowd and doing it? Well, at the moment it's not exactly on my bucket-list. The damn thing is looming out of the mist like an iceberg and the only way to avoid it is to give up on something I enjoy. So... bollocks to that. Fortunately I've got a chance to get my hand in, thanks to the hard work of one of the scrappers, we've got a new venue, a night dedicated to rapier and dagger, and the old hands will be turning up for "lessons" with the potential for a few newbies. I have a healthy doubt about my abilities. I know the subject, I've done a lot of work on interpreting the book and I've managed to turn it into something that appears to work for me. I will get questions that stump me and I will get situations that require me to rethink my interpretation. I guess it's this: I'm not an authority... yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment