Wednesday 2 November 2011

Sword fighting is for girls.

I'm sure I have talked about this before, but I can't be bothered to go back and check...

Women make good fighters. The differences in height and strength are overcome by technique and traditionally female characteristics like grace and agility. 3 feet of sharpened metal is a great equaliser. And, like it or not, women tend to have an ability for cold-blooded calculated violence. (Rather than the hot blooded moronic type that is characteristically male)?

There is some social conditioning to overcome. Girls aren't supposed to enjoy rough housing and good girls don't hit people... which is, generally, utter bollocks. And although I'm not a poster child for the health and fitness benefits of rapier, I can say that it is a great way to tone up. (I am actually thinking about doing some yoga so I'm flexible enough.. lead by masochistic and slightly absurd example)

Besides. What better way is there to prevent trivial household arguments from escalating than kitting up and duelling to see who gets their way? The physical effects of stress are dissipated through the fight, there is a winner (hopefully unarguable, since you want a fair fight)

So, in short. Women shouldn't dismiss HEMA as a boys activity- besides, learning Swetnam would make the misogynist turn in his grave.

No comments:

Post a Comment