Monday 6 August 2012

Taking people's weapons away.

I've decided that I'm rather fond of taking one person's weapons away in a drill. I initially had this idea as a reaction to the lack of equipment (but didn't use it then) and then I noticed people forgetting the dagger when using both hands. Taking someone's weapon away is a perverse little joy.  First of all they look a bit befuddled and scared, then they start doing quite well.

Today started with people planted against the wall so they had to use their parries rather than controlling distance. Not a bad drill, but won't scale up too well. Will do one where you attack from the wall.

Then-  put dagger in left hand. Take sword away and set someone on them. Get them used to parrying and then give them the rapier again. Although, I confess, everyone was having far too much fun with just the dagger so I didn't get around to reintroducing the sword. I also like void drills without the sword as well- it really helps focus you on moving rather than trying to parry.


It's surprising how effective the off-hand dagger is on its own, people went from "are you kidding" to passing steps and punching within a few minutes.  And lots of grins, which is important.  I also think this handicapping has an important psychological aspect- if you can face and enjoy when hideously under prepared/unbalanced then it serves you well when going up, properly armed, against a better opponent.

1 comment:

  1. Can you remember doing longsword back at the 52 Club - the "begin from the bind and don't go backwards" drill?

    ReplyDelete