Sunday 19 October 2008

HEMA, defined by what it is not.

Is HEMA full of frustrated Larpers and renactors?

No.

Are there frustrated larpers in there?

Yes. Me for one. I have also been a frustrated karate type and a frustrated sport fencer.

So why did I get into HEMA?

The short answer is I got dumped, but this isn't about that. What happened is I was left with time on my hands and the need to do something.

I have problems with Sport fencing, it's a bit two dimensional- the rules don't really reflect what you would do if someone is trying to stick a giant kebab skewer in you.

I dislike the formality of oriental martial arts and it doesn't have a resonance with me. I'm learning someone else's culture when there is so much of my own hidden in the shadows.

LARP and Reenactment are just people running around in silly costumes. At least LARP has nicer food and more comfortable outfits.

So- why HEMA?

It is informal- people (paradoxically, considering my last post) encourage you to develop your own views. It's not just repeat after me. Not only are you allowed to ask 'what if' or 'how does that work' it is almost demanded of you. You are encouraged to find new knowledge that interests you. Some people might just say this is because my instructor is lazy, I would argue it's because he is a teacher rather than robot.

It is realistic- It's not foam rubber swords, pointy ears and shouting "double, double, single". It's not "you can't strike unless you make a successful parry". It's not being authentic in all ways but the actual fight.

It's he's got a "fucking big sharp piece of metal and he wants to kill you, stop him". It's authentic in the fight and the fight alone. There are safety measures, and politeness (and people clever enough to wear a box) dictates that you don't kick them in the bollocks and decapitate them whilst they are.. distracted. But this is taught as a legitimate technique.

You can slash, thrust, pommel strike, disarm, wrestle, and aim for the face. It is a fight. Sometimes it's not pretty, but so what- pretty doesn't save your life.

And then there's the range of weapons, but that is for another post.

No comments:

Post a Comment