Thursday 2 February 2012

Saviolo and his rapier.

I believe that I've also mentioned that I'm looking at Saviolo- the idea is to get a wider view on the styles of London in that era, and also to see if he explains things that Swetnam glosses over/promises to cover in a later book.

One thing I've noticed is that despite saying "you should first learn with just the rapier" what he actually recommends is rapier and gauntlet. I've not read much of it so far so I don't know if this aside makes his guards and advice more understandable- but this is a good example of the benefits of going to the source material. Things like this are easy to miss, especially if you're relying on someone else's interpretation.

Either way- When using a sword in one hand it's a good idea to (at least) put on a very thick glove and use your offhand for defence.

No comments:

Post a Comment