Monday 2 July 2012

Still looking at developing schema.

I'm not going to go into long winded and Piagetean terminology, schema are a kind of pigeon holing system that has a form of interconnectivity. The basic bit behind schema is that you put labels onto bits of information and how you frame these blocks can result in interference with new things or improve assimilation. Or.. to sum it up in a soundbite- Finding as many ways to say yes, like that as possible. There's also things like repetition patterns and reinforcement schedules and so on. So students have things they can take away, no skill gets too far out of practical memory and that each schema has as many hooks and pathways between other schema and subcategories as possible. Unfortunately I've got quite a visual mind so I'm trying to describe an image in my head that is a bit like an animated, wibbly, cross between a flowchart and a Venn diagram. What I'm trying to do is get a lesson plan that works along these lines and a 2-3 month cycle of ideas that ends with a 'free lesson' for me to evaluate weak spots and then improve those while not losing the other skills. So, here I am, staring at Swetnam and at my lesson notes, rough plans, drill ideas. Trying to figure out what I can do within the limits of our equipment and fulfil my duty to the students. I may have put this up earlier, I can't remember and I need to keep this in mind as I'm going on anyway so I am happy to repeat myself. Lesson and principles: Dodging and distance. Thrusting, Blade control Cuts, lines of attack, dodging. (maybe) Thrusts across the centre line. Feints, plays and principles of single time defence Introduce Dagger and true guard, go over principles again- especially lines of attack. Binding with the dagger, defending on the double (using both weapons to block) How to counteract the dagger, introduction to crosse guard. Things needing placement: The other guards, what principles to use as a hook for introducing them. A reinforcement schedule for things that are learned but not used habitually (and figuring out what they are. Interesting ways of really drumming in distance, movement, blade control and tempo. (because, if you've got these down, you can wave your hands flail around like a moron and survive) Warmup drills related to the day's principles. Make it clearer how everything 'slots' together Introduction to/taster lesson: covering everything in passing detail. (Two types of lesson- one for those learning the system and one for those who have never fought before maybe a third which is a longsworder's guide to rapier and dagger) I could use Swetnam's 7 principles. as a framing device for the lessons, and I have a feeling that he's got an understanding of the whole schema thing with how he talks about some principles having several meanings. (like space being both distance and framing of the guard yet with framing of the guard being a separate principle) But the way he lays everything out is so higgledy piggledy, I suspect there's a more efficient way of presenting the information.

No comments:

Post a Comment